Man of Steel

I know I've already missed several movies on my bucket list - not sure if anyone is even aware - but I do completely intend to see them. However, today was my husband's birthday and of all the movies on my bucket list that are out in theatres right now that we haven't seen yet, Man of Steel was his hand's down pick so we went to see it today.

Overall, it was amazing. I thought that the effects were just mind blowing - the increases in technology for cgi have made fantasy, sci-fi, and superhero movies miles ahead of what they once were. I also thought that the movie was very well cast. Anyone who read my bucket list saw that one of the main reasons I wanted to see this movie was because of Henry Cavill, and I have to say he didn't disappoint. I thought that Cavill looked very much the part of Superman, but more so, he played Clark Kent/Superman as a very human, very relatable person. The final scene between Superman and General Zod was especially moving. I also thought that Michael Shannon was very good as the antagonist. The great thing about his character is that he is not one dimensional. It is completely believable that he would go to such extremes (as annihilating the human race) because he believes totally in his cause - he was created, engineered to keep his race alive and he will do whatever it takes. I also thoroughly enjoyed Amy Adams as the relentless reporter, Lois Lane.

The one problem that I had with the movie may be a personal issue, but I had a hard time feeling connected during many of the action sequences. While I think that cgi has made modern fantasy movies like this one truly epic, I also think that it has a bit of a detriment. I think that the whole point of telling a story is to get the audience to connect to the story (its themes and even morals) and be able to relate to the characters. With the increase in cgi technology, movie makers can make the superhuman or supernatural closer to its "reality" without making it look obviously fake. However, this superhuman "reality" is so grand in scale that people don't really have a scope of experience to really be able to process it. That's why I couldn't connect to these scenes; my brain has no way of even processing what is going on in any believable or relatable way. While the scenes were amazing, they were hard to relate to.

The part of the movie that I did not have any trouble connecting with or relating to was the writing, the story itself. I think that David S. Goyer (who wrote the script) did an amazing job. The thing I most thought of throughout the movie's more emotionally stirring moments (and this may sound corny to some) was how I wanted to do better in my own life. The words from Clark's biological and adopted fathers are so strong. They both want their son to grow to be morally strong, to do what is right, and to make a difference in the world. The scenes with the younger versions of Clark and his struggles were so great because I felt his pain and his hardship in living up to an ideal that would be so difficult for someone so young to come to grips with. I was very moved by it. As a writer, I can only hope that any work I contribute to this world touches someone in that way.

Overall, I give the movie 4.5 stars out of 5.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Thoughts on the progress of my novel

Harper Lee and Peppermint Candy by Paula Hennessy

My Mother's Secret by J.L. Witterick