New Year's resolution 2014

Last year I made 2 resolutions - 1) to write everyday in Gayle - failed at that miserably; 2) to see the following 20 movies. Now I didn't get to see every one of these in the theatre as I had hoped but several of the ones I missed in the theatre, I saw on DVD before the end of the year. The only ones I haven't seen at all by this point are 10, 14, 18 & 20. Thor 2 and Hobbit 2 are still in theatres and I'm still hoping to see them there; Lone Ranger and Wolverine are out on DVD and I still intend to see them. So all in all, my second resolution wasn't a bust. :)

The 20 movies I have to see in 2013 (in chronological order of release)
1. Beautiful Creatures
2. A Good Day to Die Hard
3. Warm Bodies
4. G.I. Joe: Retaliation
5. The Host
6. Iron Man 3
7. The Great Gatsby
8. Star Trek into Darkness
9. The Hangover Part III
10. The Lone Ranger
11. After Earth
12. Man of Steel
13. World War Z
14. The Wolverine
15. Elysium
16. The Mortal Instruments: City of Bones
17. The World's End
18. Thor: The Dark World
19. Catching Fire
20. The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug

For 2014, I have basically the same resolutions. Firstly, I intend to finish Gayle before I turn 35 - that gives me more than this year (since I don't turn 35 until October 2015), but I will have to work tirelessly on it this year to achieve that so it's still a resolution for this year. Secondly, I resolve to watch these 25 movies in the theatre this year.

The 25 movies I have to see in 2014 (in chronological order of release)
1. Jack Ryan: Shadow Recruit - (Jan 17) This movie looks really good - starring Chris Pine, Keira Knightley, Kenneth Branagh and directed by Branagh. Based on a Tom Clancy character, the math alone makes me want to see it! :)
2. Monuments Men - (Feb 7) This is another movie directed by George Clooney and starring George Clooney, Matt Damon, and Bill Murray. I love all these actors, and I'm interested to see their on screen chemistry. Plus the plot sounds interesting.
3. The Grand Budapest Hotel - (March 7) Directed by Wes Anderson and starring Ralph Fiennes, Bill Murray, etc., This looks like one of the strangest movies I'll see all year, but I don't think I can pass it up. I love Ralph Fiennes. :)
4. Divergent - (March 21) I read this book and absolutely loved it. I'm super excited to see it. Starring Shailene Woodley and Kate Winslet. I think Kate is going to be awesome in her role, and I hope Shailene will as well.
5. Noah - (March 28) I'm not a huge fan of biblical stories on the silver screen. I feel that they either over-hype them, or don't do them justice. But I am intrigued by this movie, especially since it stars Russell Crowe and Jennifer Connelly.
6. Captain America: The Winter Soldier - (April 4) Starring Chris Evans and Scarlett Johanssen, among others, this is the second installment in Captain America's saga. I'm interested to see how they move forward in this storyline after the first movie and the Avengers - hope it's good.
7. The Amazing Spider-man 2 - (May 2) I really enjoyed the first Amazing Spider-man. I didn't really see the need for a reboot of the franchise because I liked the first 3 with Tobey Maguire and I hadn't read the comics so I wasn't "burdened" with glaring inaccuracies. I decided to give it a try anyway since I enjoy just about any superhero movies, and I was pleasantly surprised. Andrew Garfield does well as Peter Parker and I love Emma Stone in just about anything she does. Jamie Foxx joins the second installment as the nemesis. Definitely looking forward to it. :)
8. Chef - (May 9) I don't usually anticipate comedies with as much fervor as I do my sci-fi/fantasy/YA/superhero/action movies. :) However, this movie will be starring Jon Favreau, Robert Downey, Jr., Scarlett Johansson, and Dustin Hoffman. Need I say more?
9. X-Men: Days of Future Past - (May 23) I think this may be the movie I'm anticipating the most. :) I love X-Men, I think First Class was AWESOME, and if it could have been any better it would've included some of the greats from the first movies. Well Days of Future Past is still including James McAvoy, Michael Fassbender, Jennifer Lawrence, and Nicholas Hoult but it is also incorporating Ian McKellen, Patrick Stewart, Hugh Jackman, and Halle Berry! I CANNOT WAIT! :)
10. Maleficent - (May 30) I have been waiting to see this movie ever since stills of Angelina Jolie in full make-up popped up online. I think this looks so amazing; it seems like Jolie was born to play this role.
11. Edge of Tomorrow - (June 6) I hadn't heard much about this movie, but when I saw a trailer for it today, I knew I wanted to include it in this list. Starring Tom Cruise and Emily Blunt, this looks like it's going to be a sci-fi action powerhouse. I'm not a huge fan of Tom Cruise but I really enjoyed Oblivion and I hope this surprises as well.
12. The Fault in our Stars - (June 6) Another movie this year that is YA, based on a book, and starring Shailene Woodley. My friend Meghan loved this book and told me how much I need to read it - hopefully I have time to before the movie comes out. :)
13. How to Train Your Dragon 2 - (June 13) Can't wait for this one either! :) My whole family loved this first movie and have been dying for the next one for so long. With the added voice talents of Cate Blanchett and Kit Harrington of Game of Thrones, this one looks sure to live up to the first one.
14. Dawn of the Planet of the Apes - (July 11) Rise of the Planet of the Apes was an unexpected gem that I really enjoyed. From the trailer, this one looks to be just as good.
15. Jupiter Ascending - (July 18) I hadn't heard about this movie before today either, and while the trailer tells you little, it looks really good. From the directors of The Matrix (which is high expectation on its own) and starring Mila Kunis, Channing Tatum, and Sean Bean.
16. Sex Tape - (July 25) Another comedy - I don't usually include that many on these lists - but I really liked Bad Teacher in a raunchy way :) and this movie is from the same director and also starring Jason Segel and Cameron Diaz again with "special" guest Jack Black as well. Awesome. :)
17. Guardians of the Galaxy - (Aug 1) This is another superhero movie so of course I'll check it out, but it seems like this will be the craziest one. Starring Chris Pratt, Zoe Saldana, Vin Diesel, and the voice of Bradley Cooper as a raccoon. Should be interesting but looks funny. :)
18. Sin City: A Dame to Kill For - (Aug 2) It's been forever since the first one came out, but I enjoyed it and am looking forward to this second one. Starring Josh Brolin, Eva Green, Joseph Gordon-Levitt, and Jessica Alba.
19. The Giver - (Aug 15) One of my all-time favorite YA books. I HOPE they don't ruin it, but with Jeff Bridges and Meryl Streep in it, I can't imagine it would be horrible.
20. The Maze Runner - (Sept 19) Another YA book that my friend Meghan loved and said I have to read, again hope I can finish it before the movie comes out and that it doesn't disappoint.
21. Gone Girl - (Oct 3) This is a crime thriller movie adapted from a best selling novel starring Ben Affleck. Since it doesn't come out till October, there isn't a trailer yet but the director Fincher also directed Fight Club, Social Network, and Girl with the Dragon Tattoo which I've all loved. Hopefully this movie is another stellar addition to Fincher's resume.
22. Interstellar - (Nov 7)  Matthew McConaughey, Anne Hathaway, Jessica Chastain, and Michael Caine star in this sci-fi film. This is another movie that I added to the list because the trailer makes it look really good.
23. Hunger Games: Mockinjay p.1 - (Nov 21) I loved these books and the movies are living up to them. Catching Fire was fantastic. I can't wait for this installment and hope Julianne Moore does her part justice.
24. The Hobbit: There and Back again - (Dec 17) I haven't seen the second movie yet, but I will soon. The first movie was really good. I know that most people are a little weirded out that it isn't so close to the book like the Lord of the Rings trilogy were, but it doesn't really bother me that much because I understand that a lot of storyline was take from other Tolkien works and not just made up to make the movies longer. I can't wait for the finale. :)
25. Into the Woods - (Dec 25) I haven't had the pleasure of seeing the play that this movie will be based on, but I can imagine I would really like it, and I'm sure I'll love this movie. With an amazing all-star cast that includes Johnny Depp, Meryl Streep, Emily Blunt, Anna Kendrick, and many more, I'm sure this will be one of my fav movies of this year. :)
I hope I'm as successful with my movie resolution this year as I was last year, and I hope I am WAY more successful in my writing resolution. Any movies you're anticipating the release of this year that you haven't seen here? Leave a comment. :)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Thoughts on the progress of my novel

Harper Lee and Peppermint Candy by Paula Hennessy

My Mother's Secret by J.L. Witterick