A Good Day to Die Hard - sorry for the delay

I finally went to see A Good Day to Die Hard. I was excited to see this movie because I thought that Live Free Die Hard was really good. All I can say now is that the Die Hard franchise should have stopped with Live Free Die Hard. I don't usually rail on movies because I think that most movies have at least some redeemable qualities. While A Good Day to Die Hard does have some crazy action sequences, especially the ones with the helicopter, and Bruce Willis delivers classic John McClane moments, these qualities were not enough to redeem the complete lack of a cohesive driving plot.

In A Good Day, it was nice to see John McClane's kids all grown up and what they are doing with their lives, but I didn't feel any specific chemistry with the actor who played Jack McClane. I thought that the character arcs for Jack and John were completely predictable - I knew Jack was going to forgive his dad by the end of the movie. In Live Free, Willis had much more chemistry with Justin Long, the action sequences were fantastic, and Timothy Olyphant makes a much better antagonist than the unknown to almost all Americans Sebastian Koch, who was more believable as the "damsel in distress" in my opinion.

Unfortunately, I regret putting A Good Day to Die Hard on my bucket list now. I should have put Jack the Giant Slayer instead. I went to see it this week and it was great! Nicholas Hoult gives another great performance in this movie (I loved his performance in Warm Bodies as well). The computer graphics in this movie are very nice, and the supporting roles are all well-played as well. I especially liked Ewan McGregor - he played Elmont as such a heroic yet funny guard, and I really liked his hair. :)

I give Die Hard 2 out of 5 stars, and if you have to see it, I would wait till it comes out on DVD.

I give Jack the Giant Slayer 4 out of 5 stars, and I recommend you see it in the theatre instead.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Thoughts on the progress of my novel

Harper Lee and Peppermint Candy by Paula Hennessy

My Mother's Secret by J.L. Witterick