The Host

   Sorry it took me so long to post about The Host. Funds aren't exactly in a place where I can run to the theatre right when a movie comes out. I apologize for its lateness, but here is my review. :)

   Most people know that this movie is based on a Stephanie Meyer science fiction book, and I am sad to report that I was not able to read the book before I went to see the movie. Therefore, I will not be able to compare the movie to its book. However, I do have some things I'd like to highlight about it.

   I am a fan of Meyer's Twilight series, and that was the main reason I decided to see the movie. It was a completely different viewing experience for me compared to Twilight however, because as I said, I had not read the book, The Host. I went into this movie without any idea of how the plot was supposed to go or what happened to the characters. I have to say my ignorance became a pleasant experience after a while because I was not focused on how many things the filmmakers left out or changed. From the plot of the movie, I think the story overall was a good one, and I can see why the studio decided to pick it up. Also it was a nice change from supernatural fantasy to science fiction.

   I enjoyed the actors that were cast to play the roles. I thought that the main character Melanie/Wanderer played by Saoirse Ronan was especially well cast. I also thought that the two male leads Ian and Jared played by Jake Abel and Max Irons respectively were a good fit, especially for the love triangle. I was also pleasantly surprised by Diane Kruger as the antagonistic Seeker. I haven't seen her in many roles before because I'm not a watcher of the TV show Fringe, but I think she could do well in other movie roles if she's given the opportunity. The only problem I had with any of the actors was I felt a lot more connection with Saoirse Ronan when she was playing Melanie than I did when she was Wanderer. I thought the portrayal of Melanie was a lot more authentic and believable. I understand that it is hard to play an alien life force that has no real emotion and shies away from conflict, but at the same time, it's hard for audiences to get behind those types of characters because they are so "alien" from our own human nature. Again because I didn't read the book, I don't know if the characters were written this way or if it was the fault of the director/actors.

   Overall, I thoroughly enjoyed this movie, and I would recommend it to viewers who enjoy fantasy/science fiction works, any fans of Stephanie Meyer, and any young adult viewers. I give this movie a 3.5 out of 5.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Thoughts on the progress of my novel

Harper Lee and Peppermint Candy by Paula Hennessy

My Mother's Secret by J.L. Witterick