Paper Airplane by Kersten L. Kelly

I was given this book by the author for review. It is a collection of stories the author compiled while traveling on airplanes. The stories are true to the author's knowledge, though names and some situations have been changed to protect people's identity.

When I was preparing to read this book, I read the back of the jacket cover and the note from the author/preface to the text. I was impressed with Kelly's writing ability. She writes with a flow and style that is easy to read and understand but that also conveys her intelligence. The jacket cover back got me excited to read the stories too by promising a "tumultuous, distinctive memoir" where "every chapter will capture the mind and sometimes the heart of anyone who jumps into this collection of humanity at its best." That's quite a lead in.

After reading the book, I have to say that I feel that it was a bit of a let down. Don't get me wrong, I think that the stories were well told, and I enjoyed the author's take on many of these tales. The problem for me is that the jacket cover (and sometimes the author herself in her recaps at the end of the chapters) oversold the significance of these stories and their impact for the reader. I could be alone in this thought - I recognize that possibility - but I found myself often at the end of chapters wondering why this particular tale was so important to the author, why she went on for several pages about how impactful the story was. To be honest, the impact of a story should be felt by a reader, not told to the reader by the author. And I didn't always feel it.

I did enjoy some of the chapters. I would have thought that meeting Vance, the Gap Commercial Superstar would have been very cool, and I certainly would have told my friends and family the story. I also felt and understood the real anxiety the author felt when she sat next to Ira, the Hungry Watchdog. I very much enjoyed the character Harry, the Most Humble Football Fan and would have wanted to be his friend if I met him. I also felt that John, the Paternal Soldier's story was a good addition to the text because it is a heartwarming tale of true heroism. Most of the other stories, however, I probably would not have felt that deprived if I had not read them. Perhaps others who read the book will feel differently.

That all being said, I do not regret reading the book, and I hope that the author continues to write other books because I feel that with more writing experience, she will get better at conveying the impact of a story through the writing itself. I would also recommend this book to any of my readers who like true stories that are intended to inspire (similar to any of the Chicken Soup for the Soul books). I give it 3 stars out of 5.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Thoughts on the progress of my novel

Harper Lee and Peppermint Candy by Paula Hennessy

My Mother's Secret by J.L. Witterick