Thoughts on the progress of my novel

I'm currently working on a story - actually writing it. I've only got one chapter finished, and I'm not writing often enough. I get distracted easily with family life (husband and five-year-old son as well as my mom's extended illness and my grandmother now living alone), but I also second-guess my ability too often. It's going to be a novel or series of novels for young adults, a work of fantasy. The story is centered around a young woman of 17 who has a special ability. In this world, the elements of fire, water, and wind can be detected by gifted individuals whom I call Elementals (because they can see the animal representation of the elements and therefore talk to and manipulate them). The protagonist's name is Gayle. I envision (much because I haven't gotten to that part yet) that the conflicts she encounters will be with an authority figure named Lord Stormwind. He has quite a back story as well, and the second book will probably be a prequel about how he came to be as he is in Gayle. Although, I'm not entirely sure whether I want to do that or weave in his back story as flashbacks in Gayle or not. I guess that decision will be made when I come to it. The largest problem I'm having in writing Gayle is whether to incorporate more of the characters' thoughts and perceptions. In all of my creative writing training, I've always been taught "show, don't tell" so I feel like I shouldn't tell the reader too much of what the protagonist is thinking but try to convey her sentiments through her actions. The way the first chapter is reading now however, it's almost entirely action, and I don't like how it's so bare. My recreational reading (The Hunger Games series especially), while they have much action, include a lot of the characters' thoughts and perceptions, and it makes my own work seem very stark in comparison. I think I will be rewriting the first chapter accordingly.

Comments

  1. Hey Amanda, I am going to read the Hunger Games. Emily has already read it for her 7th grade Honors English class.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Harper Lee and Peppermint Candy by Paula Hennessy

My Mother's Secret by J.L. Witterick