New Year for Gayle and movies

So it's that time of year again - time to make resolutions. Most people will have abandoned their quests by mid February, but I'm hoping that I will stay true to mine this year because at least one of them could mean the completion of a lifelong dream. As you may have guessed, I have more than one resolution - in fact, I have two. The first may be obvious; I think the second may be a little less so.

First New Year's Resolution
It is my intention to spend some time everyday working on my novel, Gayle. This could mean hours of time, or just 15-20 minutes. It will depend on inspiration of course. It could also mean actually writing, or it could be anything from editing, plot mapping, or just spitballing ideas for the plot or characters off of my husband. As long as I do something each day to further the story of Gayle then I have achieved my goal.

Second New Year's Resolution
Many people who know me know that I am a bit of a movie junkie. I love nothing more than going to the theatre, getting some yummy popcorn, and watching a great movie on the big screen. With a young one and not a surplus of available babysitters, I don't get to go see as many movies in the theatre as we used to before parenthood (or as many as I would like). I still have yet to see The Hobbit for goodness sake. Having seen several lists on the internet of the amazing movies coming out in 2013, I have decided to make a list of the movies I have to see this year, and I will make it happen and then blog about it. So here's the list.

The 20 movies I have to see in 2013 (in chronological order of release)
1. Beautiful Creatures - Februrary 13 (everyone knows that I have a soft spot for scifi and fantasy and the trailer for this one looks amazing! I don't know yet if I will be able to read the book before seeing the movie or not though because I have a lot of books on the list so far :/)
2. A Good Day to Die Hard - February 14 (I like action movies about as much and the Die Hard franchise is a classic in the genre so hopefully this installment will not disappoint)
3. Warm Bodies - February 14 (Valentine's Day is going to be busy for me this year, but I'm super excited to see this movie. I know zombies are everywhere right now, but I like the idea behind this film that zombies aren't all evil.)
4. G.I. Joe: Retaliation - March 29 (I'm not a huge Channing Tatum fan like the rest of the female population seems to be, but how can you pass up a good action flick with Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson and Bruce Willis? Plus I'm hoping Joseph Gordon Levitt pops up in this one as well because I am a big fan of his.)
5. The Host - March 29 (While I haven't read these books, I am a fan of the Twilight series. While I don't think all of the film adaptations of Twilight were very good, I loved Breaking Dawn - Part 2, so I think I'll give this film a chance as well.)
6. Iron Man 3 - May 3 (This should be pretty obvious - all of the Iron Man's are awesome; it's Robert Downey Jr. - enough said.)
7. The Great Gatsby - May 10 (Being the bibliophile that I am and loving the classics as much as I do, I am super excited for this film. Hopefully it does the book justice.)
8. Star Trek into Darkness - May 17 (I know I may be speaking blasphemy to some, but I never actually watched much of the Star Trek series - I may have seen an episode here and there. However, I really enjoyed the first movie in this franchise, and from the trailer that I saw, this one looks to be just as amazing.)
9. The Hangover Part III - May 24 (The second Hangover was a little redundant, but from what I've read, the third movie is supposed to be full of surprises and the entire cast is returning. Since the first one was so funny, I'm going to give this one a go.)
10. The Lone Ranger - May 31 (Looks like I'm going to have a movie a week in May. :) While this movie could easily flop hard - it's the Lone Ranger for heaven sake - I'm willing to see it because I'm a fan of Johnny Depp - even though I'm getting tired of him only being weird in movies - and because it's being made by the geniuses behind the Pirates of the Caribbean franchise.)
11. After Earth - June 7 (A friend told me about this movie after she saw the trailer at a showing of The Hobbit, so I checked it out online. The trailer looks awesome, and hopefully, this is a great comeback for M. Night Shyamalan - I thought The Sixth Sense, Unbreakable, and Signs were fantastic.)
12. Man of Steel - June 14 (Okay I'm going to launch into my first ever female/estrogen-filled moment. While this should be a great action movie that hopefully reinvigorates the Superman franchise and the trailer - while a teaser - looks great, I'm going to see this movie for Henry Cavill. He has got to be one of the most gorgeous men in Hollywood. I was a huge fan of The Tudors when it was on, and Cavill was my favorite on the show. I'm going to miss his sexy British accent in this movie, but I'm still probably going to be drooling through the whole thing. :)
13. World War Z - June 21 (Another zombie movie but I don't care. Whoever made the trailer for this movie, made it look siiiiiick.)
14. The Wolverine - July 26 (Love, love, love anything X-Men. Wouldn't miss it.)
15. Elysium - August 9 (This is another scifi movie made by the writer/director of District 9 starring Matt Damon and Jodie Foster. I'm a fan of both these actors, but I'm a bigger fan of Neill Blomkamp. He uses his South African heritage to inspire his science fiction in an imaginative way. The story of the main character in District 9 haunted me after seeing the film the way Metamorphosis [Kafke's story] was intended to.)
16. The Mortal Instruments: City of Bones - August 23 (I'm a big fan of Cassandra Clare's series, and I'm hoping the movie does the book justice. From the trailer I saw, it looks like it's going to be quite good.)
17. The World's End - October 25 (I'm a huge fan of Simon Pegg; I watch everything I know he's going to be in. I wouldn't miss this.)
18. Thor: The Dark World - November 8 (I'm definitely looking forward to the next installment of Thor. Tom Hiddleston is exceptional as Loki and my favorite - and yummy too. :) Okay two female moments in one post - simmer down now.)
19. Catching Fire - November 22 (Anyone who read my review of The Hunger Games should know that I'm going to be there at the midnight showing of Catching Fire with bells on.)
20. The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug - December 13 (And last but certainly not least, The Hobbit. So many of my friends have told me that the first is amazing that I'm going to see it this Friday come hell or high water. After that I'm sure I'll have even more excitement for the next installment.)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Thoughts on the progress of my novel

Harper Lee and Peppermint Candy by Paula Hennessy

My Mother's Secret by J.L. Witterick